JOUR 272

Thursday, March 10, 2011

I-Club (Main Story)

Since its initiation in 1976, I-Club has become one of the primary link between the international students at Knox and the local community.

I-Club began almost 35 years ago when a group of International students came together with a common goal in mind – to promote diversity within Knox College.

“I decided to join I-Club because I would like to promote cultural awareness,” said Sophomore Kevin Wirasamban.

Under the Knox College International Club Constitution written by the 2003-2004 president, Sujan Niraula, the objectives of the club are to firstly promote diversity within Knox College and the Galesburg community, and secondly to render necessary assistance to the international community of Knox.

However things have certainly changed from what they were 35 years ago. Although I-Club has seen an increase in budget from $4000 in 1993 to $5100 in 2011, the club has become relatively less active as compared to its participation fifteen years ago.

This year’s Co-President Sara Jane Ahmed explains that the turnout for I-Club is great in the beginning however as the term progresses, people stop showing up.

“[People don’t show up] because they are apathetic,” said Ahmed, “this years freshmen are the least involved. Those who are involved end up becoming part of the exec board.”

Member participation in the club has decreased significantly. Fifteen years ago there were over forty members however, these days the only people who seem to come to the meetings are the people on the executive board of the club totaling to fifteen.

“People just don’t care anymore these days,” said Co-President Supriya Kusuja, “they just don’t spend enough time on extra-curricular activities… All they care about are their grades, but they should learn that grades aren’t the only things that matter in life.”

Next year’s Co-President, Li Ann Marco aims to tackle this problem.

“One of the major things we have to focus on is the promotion of I-Club,” said Marco, “we should try to promote in other ways rather than just through the I-Fair.”

Marco explains that another problem is that most people feel that I-Club is just for international students.

“People feel that the can’t join because they aren’t international. But they should know that the I-Club Constitution states that everyone can join and they are always welcomed,” she said.

The lack of members over the years is one of the reasons why the I-Fairs held over the recent years have not been as successful as they were fifteen years ago.

“This year’s I-Fair was much better than last year’s I-Fair,” said Kusum Hachhethu, a senior at Knox, “but I still feel that since my freshmen year here, I-fair has become less exciting. Less people are involved in it. Its just not as fun as it was before.”

Next year’s Junior-At-Large, Yumna Rathore agrees with Hachhethu and adds that over the years I-Club has become less informative.

“I-Fair feels like a chore now. People just come for the food and the performances,” Rathore said, “what about the part where people learn about the cultures and traditions of different countries?”

The last piece of history in the archives about the I-club is the 1999 I-Fair. Since then, no new information has been archived. Previous records of I-Club show that I-Fair was more informative than it is now. Recipe booklets and global bingo were just some of the ways the international students tried to include the community. People were given incentives in the form of money to create the best booths and the most creative booths.

“From what I’ve heard, there used to be passports given to people,” said Hachhethu, “and people who attended the I-Fair had to take these passports and go to the different booths and get them signed by them. Nothing like that happens here anymore.”

“I-Club is in desperate need for enthusiasm,” said Ahmed, “its not a club that is likely to die out any time soon, but we need more ideas and enthusiasm when it comes to participation.”

The 1987 I-Fair, “Crossroads” is known to be one of the most successful I-Fair ever held. It was dedicated to a former international student Siang Ooi who graduated in 1984. Ooi was died in Costa Rica when he was attacked by a swarm of killer bees.

“The International students at Knox always come together in their times of need,” said Madhusudanan, “they are always there to help each other.”

Although many love I-Club, it has decreased in its size over the years and is failing to complete the objectives it was based on – to promote cultural awareness.

With Marco taking charge next year as president, she hopes to bring back I-Club to its former glory.

“I’m going to try to get more people involved,” said Marco, “next year we are going to change I-Club and make it the better than it has ever been.”

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home